Wednesday, March 7, 2012

fork-worthy quinoa veggie enchiladas!

So it turns out my other half is more into the 90% vegetarian lifestyle we started after watching Forks over Knives. I can't say I'm that surprised since he has always been the more health conscious one. I can't tell you how many times we've been out to eat and the server gives him my food. Um excuse me, I ordered the cheeseburger add bacon and avocado with chili fries AND he has the turkey burger and salad. haha. If I was to be a vegetarian I would be totally fine eating popcorn and broccoli all day, but unfortunately that lack of creativity doesn't fly with "the vegan" which I now affectionately refer to him as :) . Thanks to the help of pinterest and clean eating magazine I've actually come across some great recipes! This one is adapted from Clean Eating's southwest quinoa salad...

Quinoa Veggie Enchiladas 

Ingredients: 
  • 1 can of black beans
  • 1 green and 1 red bell pepper
  • 1 large tomato
  • corn tortillas
  • 1 can a diced green chilies
  • 1/2 onion 
  • taco seasoning
  • salt and pepper 
  • 1 lime 
  • pepper jack cheese (optional, I have a love/hate relationship)
  • corn (I used Trader Joe's roasted corn, yum!)
  • enchilada sauce (I used Fresh and Easy green sauce, it says it contains wheat, totally defeating the purpose of this being gluten free, ugh! I typically buy Fontera green enchilada sauce, highly recommended!)  
  • quinoa 
  • cilantro

found these tortillas at fresh and easy, yum!!

Directions: 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook quinoa according to package directions. Slice bell peppers and onions and cook until tender. Prep all other ingredients; dice tomato, shred cheese, etc. Once everything is cooked, throw everything into a bowl: bell peppers, onion, tomato, cheese, black beans, quinoa, chilies, and cilantro. Squeeze in lime juice. Add taco seasoning and salt & pepper(I didn't measure, so eyeball it or season to taste) and stir. If you want to make it spicier, add some cayenne pepper. It will look like this: 


Next, lay a tortilla flat and spoon in the quinoa mixture. Fold the tortilla over, making sure the ends are on the bottom of the dish so everything stays inside. Repeat until you've made enough to your liking and cover with enchilada sauce and cheese, again totally by your preference. I know how you's kids like 'em extra sloppyyy (billy madison lunch lady voice :) Pop it in the oven and bake until cheese is bubbly and crispy in the ends of the tortillas. 

They don't photograph very well, especially on an iphone, but I wanted proof! They were absolutely delish and the vegan was very happy with my skills! Since it's just us, I had a lot of the quinoa mixture left over, so he took it to work and ate it as a salad the next day for lunch and loved it! I will definitely be making this again!

Veg on!




Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment