Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Cupcakes for dinner?!

It's surprising to me that after 11 posts, I have not once talked about my job! ...most complain I talk about it a little too much! :) I am a full time nanny for two little rays of sunshine; the brightest and most beautifullest girls I know. 

So the other week I had thawed some ground beef for dinner. While pondering what to do with it, I remembered a post a friend had done awhile back detailing everything she ate for the day; for dinner she made meatloaf muffins. I decided to look up a recipe and came across meatloaf cupcakes! Same idea as muffins, just adding a little potato icing! The fun part was I had the 4 year old with me looking at recipes and it got her really excited about our upcoming dinner adventure! She said "I'm almost 7, so I really like potatoes." ...Potatoes have been an acquired taste for them, weird, who doesn't like potatoes?!

After looking at a couple recipes I just sort of "winged" it because I was only making enough for two small children and also didn't want it to be to "spicey."
 In a nutshell I used: a dash worchestire sauce, ketchup, salt, pepper, garlic, 1 egg, and panko breadcrumbs
For the icing I used: 1 sweet potato, butter, salt, pepper

There are so many recipes out there for meatloaf! There's probably even one circulating around your very own family. So ask around or google one. I really like this one and hope to use it in the future! 


***From: skinnytaste.com


Skinny Meatloaf Cupcakes with Mashed Potato Frosting
Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes 

Servings: 6 • Serving Size: 2 cupcakes • Old Points: 5 pts • Points+: 6 pts
Calories: 240.7 • Fat: 8.5 g • Protein: 18.1 g • Carb: 24.5 g • Fiber: 2.5 g • Sugar: 4.2 g Sodium: 560.1 mg 
(without salt)

Ingredients:

For the Meatloaf Cupcakes:

  • 1.3 lb 93% lean ground turkey
  • 1 cup grated zucchini, all moisture squeezed dry with paper towel
  • 2 tbsp onion, minced
  • 1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp kosher salt

For the Skinny Mashed Potato "Frosting":

  • 1 lb (about 2 medium) Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and halved
  • 2 tbsp fat free sour cream
  • 2 tbsp fat free chicken broth
  • 1 tbsp skim milk
  • 1/2 tbsp light butter
  • kosher salt to taste
  • dash of fresh ground pepper
  • 2 tbsp fresh thyme

Directions:

Put the potatoes and garlic in a large pot with salt and enough water to cover; bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat; simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.Drain and return potatoes and garlic to pan. Add sour cream and remaining ingredients. Using a masher or blender, mash until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.



Sounds healthy, easy, and yummy! Now this recipe is obviously not gluten free but you can substitute the bread crumbs with store bought gluten free bread crumbs, but I personally don't really like them for this recipe because its basically corn meal. I would try using homemade bread crumbs from my mac n cheese recipe. Also, if you would like to make this dairy free, try using earth balance butter and/or vegan sour cream! 


My "cupcakes" were a hit with the kids! The 4 year old loved the sweet potatoes (huge victory) and also loved being a part of the cooking process, she was my taste tester :) However, the 2 year old would only eat the meat part because she proclaimed she is only eating purple cupcakes, little does she know there is such a thing as a purple potato! maybe next time...


happy cupcaking!

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment