Sunday, November 20, 2011

less goo with your gobble..... (5 thanksgiving items not to buy)

So if you know me, you know that I'm not a big Safeway shopper. If I'm there I'm usually getting pickles (love Clausen) or wine. While on the hunt for the ingredients in some Thanksgiving items, I decided to go straight to the source and do a little homework. Safeway made this very easy because they have all the Thanksgiving items right in the front on display. Picture me walking around the display in a circle picking up every item, reading the labels, and then putting it back down only to come out of the store with some corn tortillas and sponges! People probably think I'm a total freak, 
good thing I live in San Francisco, everyone's a freak. 

1. Ocean Spray Cranberry Sauce 


I was a little shocked to discover there was high fructose corn syrup in this sauce! Ocean Spray has been around for years, they should know better! Cranberry sauce is so easy to make from scratch, you don't need to buy it pre made! But if you must, Pacific Natural Foods makes an all natural version using pure can sugar. 

2. Stove Top Stuffing


Stove Top Stuffing not only has high fructose corn syrup, but also contains MSG. Again, stuffing is pretty easy to make yourself, but if you want to get store bought, buy from a natural foods store like Trader Joe's or Whole Foods; WF also has gluten free stuffing cubes!

3. Comstock Cherry Pie Filling


Surprise, surprise Comstock cherry pie filling has high fructose corn syrup in it. Interestingly, their apple filling does not and is advertised across the can, so they obviously know it's no good! They also have "no sugar added" varieties; look for these, it might take a little extra effort, but it's worth it! I haven't been able to find a natural pie filling at a store, but I did find this company online that uses agave nectar. I know it's a little late to be ordering online for Thanksgiving, but keep this idea in mind for Christmas!

4. Safeway Brand Turkey Gravy


Add another point on the scoreboard for Pacific Natural Foods! Safeway brand gravy contains MSG. Also known as Monosodium Glutamate, MSG can cause a number of health issues. My brother, a five time cancer survivor, has been advised by his doctors not to eat any foods containing MSG, yikes!

5. Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup 


...not the best photos, but you get the point.
Pacific Natural Foods is owning this post today!
I was saddened to discover that Campbell's cream of mushroom soup contained MSG. My mother always had this in the cupboard growing up and is the base on some of her great recipes. I've used Pacific's mushroom soup and I will advise you to alter the amount of liquid you use in your recipes because it is a little runnier than the Campbell's. I just picked up some from Trader Joe's so I'll let you know how that works out in the green bean casserole! I also wanted to point out that I did not check the ingredients of Campbell's "healthy request" or other varieties they offer, they might be better? After using the natural stuff, that goo in the can just freaks me out now!

My sincerest apologies if I ruined any of your Thanksgiving recipes or if you have to go back out to the store! On the bright side, you will feel so much better about serving your dinner guests a wholesome meal and maybe even teach them a little something about healthy food alternatives!

Now go get your goo free gobble on!  

for Pacific Natural Foods coupons click here

Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment