Wednesday, January 11, 2012

My New Year's Resolution

Aside from no longer being a pushover and speaking my mind more often (I'm sure you're thinking "you have a blog, you speak your mind all the time"), NO people take advantage of nice people and I'm over it. Anyways, so aside from those resolutions, I wanted to think of something that benefitted my health. I consider myself a pretty healthy eater now, but it has not always been that way. I grew up eating fast food, processed food, artificial food...bad stuff. When I was a kid, fast food was on the rise and corporations were making "improvements" in the food industry to make meals faster and more simple; until recently, the health concerns over these foods has not been as widely advertised. It's still not enough, or people wouldn't be eating it. So yes, McDonalds, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, Wendys, Burger King...you name it, I love it. Some people say they feel sick after eating fast food, 
I never did, I felt great! 

Last year, I saw the movie Food Inc. and decided to give up eating meat from McDonalds. There were times I walked in there and thought "screw it, I'm getting chicken nuggets," and really those little cheeseburgers with the little diced onion and pickle...ugh I die. But I never did it. I couldn't stop getting those horrible images in my head of obese chickens and cows walking around in their own poop. So here I am a year strong, little cheeseburger and chicken nugget free. The fries are another story, I had them about 3 times, hungover, and they were fantastic!

Like I said in my "new year, new spices" post, 2011 was probably my healthiest year of eating I've ever had. But I am human and I do make mistakes, and I do have a best friend that's obsessed with Taco Bell. I went twice and had horrible heartburn for a full 24 hours. Yes, I am now one of those people that feels sick after eating fast food.

So for this year, I want to step it up a notch and give up all meat from fast food restaurants. They're all corporations and use a lot of the same meat. I knew that, but it still didn't get me as bad as McDonalds, so if I can give up those adorable little cheeseburgers, I can give up the cheesy gordita crunches (ah I can't believe I'm saying this!), late night drunken jack n the box visits, and Carl's Jr chicken stars (yes I eat them and yes it's horrifying).

 I'm done.

I decided this on January 9th. This particular day I had a horrible migraine from the bottle of champagne that I drank the day before, and after working all day and having an appointment til 10 oclock at night, I drove through Wendy's for the last time. I was forced to get the new "cheesy cheeseburger" because they don't make regular cheeseburgers anymore? ugh I don't know, but I'm glad to be through with this place. 

With that said, here are the exceptions to my rule: 

  • In n Out, come on they're legit...
  • Albertos or anything in San Diego County ending in a "ertos" -If you think I can give up rolled tacos and carne asada fries, you've lost your mind. 
I'm looking forward to this next year and doing more good things for myself. I'm sure it will be hard at times (road trips or 2 am when nothing else is open...), but it will all be worth it. 


chicken nuggets


chickens that never see the light of day


chickens made obese to increase the amount of breast meat produced


cow feed lots where cows can barely walk deep in their own feces, and fed corn (which they can't process) in order to fatten them up

Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. good job kenny! i am so proud! and i agree, in-n-out is legit!!!!

    ReplyDelete