Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Goo, Please Do

To follow up on my informative post about corn syrup I decided to create a variation of "eat this, not that"
 called "goo, please do."
Items labeled "goo" contain high fructose corn syrup (HFCS). 
Items labeled "please do" are items that do not contain HFCS. 
Got it? Here we go...


goo
Sadly this familiar face is full of high fructose corn syrup. And if you think you're being smart by buying the "low sugar" variation, think again. All they are doing is lowering the sugar content by watering it down, in fact, they water it down so much they have to add Red 40, artificial dyes. 

please do
I'm all kinds of fancy so I use St. Dalfour fruit conserves. It is all natural and it sweetened using fruit juice, no other sugars added. I don't know why it is but jams and jellies sweetened with fruit juice generally contain more sugar overall than items sweetened with cane sugar. My guess is that the cane sugar is sweeter so they use less. This has 13 grams of sugar. I try to stick to 10 grams and under but I'll let this little beauty slide...



goo
Another familiar face filled with high fructose corn syrup. This is most likely in your home and in restaurants everywhere. On the bright side...

please do 
Thank you Heinz for wising up and making an organic ketchup that still tastes good. Have you tried other natural brands? barf. They're dark, runny, look funny, just plain nasty. This is one of the simple changes you can make in your kitchen because it's sold at major groceries stores (costco!) and it's a brand people have known and trusted for year. Seriously I know some picky ketchup eaters.



goo
Kellogg's doesn't stop here with the high fructose corn syrup. Almost every cereal they make, even the healthy ones like "Special K" contain high fructose corn syrup. Other products made by this brand also contain artificial flavors and dyes. Seriously stop buying it, I don't care how many coupons you have.

please do
Not only are these bars low fat and made with organic grains, they're funny! And if you're a regular Trader Joe's shopper you know that their prices are very reasonable. I think these bars sell around $2, same with Whole Foods brand breakfast bars. 



goo
This honestly breaks my heart. My mom swore by this growing up and yes in does in fact work very well, but unfortunately its filled with high fructose corn syrup, dyes, and artificial flavors. Many different types of medications are loaded with artificial ingredients. Some brands are taking a step in the right direction and offering "dye free" syrups.

please do
So I can't whole heartedly support this product because I haven't tried it, but I came across it in other mommy blogs and thought I'd pass it along. It's made with all natural flavors and also contains antioxidants and honey to soothe sore throats and boost immune system. Now I hate to get all serious on you, but I personally am not a medication person, especially when it comes to children. Kids are tough and most of the time can hopefully ride out a sickness without medication. I am not recommending this product so that the next time your kid coughs you run out and buy this. This is just to inform you that if god forbid your child gets to the point of needing medication, you will consider the ingredients of what medication you choose. I am not a doctor. Not even close. 


Whew, sorry to end on a serious note. 


Remember to always always read the labels of what you are buying. Most items that are labeled "organic" are free of high fructose corn syrup because I don't believe there is such a thing as organic high fructose corn syrup. However, be careful of products labeled "all natural" because the FDA found some crazy corn syrup loop hole that makes it ok. Most natural food stores will not carry foods containing HFCS, so you're pretty safe shopping at stores like Whole Foods and Trader Joes. 
But again please, read read read. 

Food items to watch out for: sodas, ice cream, processed foods, fruit drinks, baked goods, cereals, salad dressing, tomato based sauces and condiments, yogurt. 
Click on the link below to see a blog that listed items by brand:




Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. Great suggestions for alternatives! Isn't it amazing how much junk they can cram into condiments?!

    ReplyDelete