Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Happy Healthy Halloween?

All year long I manage to walk right past all the candy screaming at me in the check out aisle, so why is it so hard to ignore it come Halloween time. Maybe it's that cute "fun size" packaging (btw I've always been perplexed why they think less candy is "fun"), or maybe its the childhood memories of trick or treating when I used to neatly organize all my candy by type and then proceed to eat all of it and pass out. A win/win for my mother; I'm asleep and won't be annoyingly asking for candy from my stash for the next month, unlike my brother who probably still has his hidden somewhere...

But enough about me, really what do we do about the Halloween candy epidemic. As usual, I've done a little research and found that a lot of candy only has "corn syrup" and not "high fructose corn syrup" in it. I know corn syrup is more natural than the latter, but I'm not entirely sure of how good it is for you to eat. (wonder what my next post will be...) In addition to corn syrup, most major candy brands are loaded with artificial flavors and dyes, especially the fruity ones, my fave. Chocolate is generally pretty safe especially when buying it from a health food store, but again READ THE LABELS! 

So what are the alternatives? You could be the boring person that hands out pretzels or tooth brushes? Honestly it's a tough call because the only options I've found are a bit on the pricey side. It's about $25 for a bag of 120 pieces of candy. (I know I'm not willing to buy it because my roommate have that candy bowl cleared out in 36 hours.) But, I'm sure the majority of my friends would agree that it's not in their budget to buy expensive treats for all the neighbor kids trick or treating extravaganzas. In the end, I guess it's all a personal choice. For me, I guess I'll just have keep staring at this empty bowl...

Sad. I might have to cave in...ugh, It's the holidays right?!

For those of you who would like to check out natural Halloween candy, click the link below: 
http://www.naturalcandystore.com/category/natural-halloween-candy
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment