Monday, November 7, 2011

Great Find -- Tj's Rolled Oats!!

Living in San Francisco means more often than not, you're going to have a chilly morning. Which is why I LOVE OATMEAL. Not only do I find it comforting it's also loaded with fiber, antioxidants, and a good source of vitamin E, zinc, selenium, copper, iron, manganese, and magnesium...kind of a great way to start the day right?



I practically screamed when I found this at Trader Joe's! I get a lot of criticism for spending so much money on food, but I'm all about finding a deal! For $3.99 you get this huge RESEALABLE bag of gluten free oats. I was buying Bob's Red Mill, but it can cost up to $5-6 and you have to transfer it into another bag or canister to keep it fresh. I also stopped buying that brand because fatty over here starting making 2 servings for breakfast; so I started using Glutenfreeda individual packets for portion control. Hopefully, I can get it together.

In researching for this post I found out that gluten free oats are a very controversial topic. how riskayy...

Gluten Free Oats Controversy: 


"The suitability of oats in the gluten-free diet is still somewhat controversial. Some research suggests that oats in themselves are gluten free, but that they are virtually always contaminated by other grains during distribution or processing. However, recent research indicated that a protein naturally found in oats (avenin) possessed peptide sequences closely resembling wheat gluten and caused mucosal inflammation in significant numbers of celiac disease sufferers. Some examination results show that even oats that are not contaminated with wheat particles are nonetheless dangerous, while not very harmful to the majority. Such oats are generally considered risky for celiac children to eat, but two studies show that they are completely safe for celiac adults to eat. People who are merely gluten-sensitive may be able to eat oats without adverse effect."


**from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluten-free_diet#Controversy_over_oats


Yes, I just quoted wikipedia.


Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment