Thursday, December 15, 2011

love and other drugs.

There is a particular situation that happens to me more often than you would think, and it goes a little something like this: 

(at a bar)
guy: hey you from around here?
me: yeah I lived here for five years. you?
guy: oh yeah born and raised, went away for college, but I just love the city (or something lame like that). What do you do?
me: I'm a nanny.
guy: Oh wow that's sounds fun. 
(other random questions about my job) 
...I'm in pharmaceutical sales.
me: OH REALLY. 

and that's where I begin a long rant that makes this guy wish he never talked to me. 

Why do I hate guys in pharmaceutical sales? First of all, the way they say it. It's like they think they're cool because they do it, maybe because they make good money? I don't know because none of them have ever offered to buy me a drink, then again who would after my verbal abuse. haha.

But really the real reason I can't stand them is far deeper than their bad pick up lines. They're real pushers, drug pushers (think Mean Girls haha). Ok, but seriously, my brother was diagnosed with Autism at the age of 2 and has been on countless medications since, I don't even think we have a running total. On top of all that, he's a five time cancer survivor and has diabetes. I can't help but think that all of the medication he has been on is to blame all of this. 

My brother has been on an anti depressant medication called Abilify. Recently, it was decided that he go off of it. Yes, his behavior sucks, but it has for awhile now. What also happened is his blood sugar stabilized. Come to find out, Abilify causes an increase in blood sugar and can lead to diabetes. 

Being the master in Google that I am, I did a little research. Not only does Abilify cause issues with blood sugar, but it also lowers your white blood cell count (immune system). My brother had lymphoma, cancer of the lymph nodes aka. a pretty big part of your immune system. I also found out that Abilify was only approved for people with Autism in 2009. I don't know the date of when he started taking it, but if it was in 2009 he definitely already had cancer and diabetes. So I can't say if the medication caused these issues, but I can darn well tell you that it couldn't have helped the situation.

I always had a hunch that the medications had something to do with his poor health, and sure enough, we now have a prime example. I know that Abilify has only been around about 10 years and maybe they were not aware of the side effects when he was put on it. I also know that after all that he has been through, you want to try anything and everything that has the potential to help him. I don't have all the answers. All we know now is that his blood sugar is more stable and easier to control, and we are all receiving emails from him about all the foods he is going to eat now. He seriously should be the next Willy Wonka.

I know that not all medications are bad and that a lot of them do help people. 

and I don't hate all pharmacuetical reps, doctors, or people in the medical field. 

Just always wear your critical thinking cap, don't be afraid to ask questions, get second opinions, do your research.

...to be continued.




Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. i've been with you when you have met a pharm. rep guy!!! not a pretty picture!!! haha!!! great post, really makes you think about ALL medications! and how doctors are so quick to prescribe meds for any symptoms, sooo annoying!!!

    ReplyDelete